Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mooooooooojeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!

Well that's almost the title of the main music folder on my laptop. Though I have about 10-12 different music folders on my hard drive...yet another example of me being as unstructured and disorganized as one can be. But this one is not only about me. This one is about music and me! Quite a normal post this one, where I do not plan or wish to wander much and keep this only as a list of my favorite music, favorite songs and whatever I relate to about them or whatever comes to my mind when I heard them. Its only fair that I am writing this one while listening to some of the best music that I talk about in the lines to come! This list is certainly not in any specific order since it is too difficult a task for me choose a few among the tons of them of different varieties that I love...and then to rank them...don't think I can do that.

1) Whole lot of love by led zepplin - Wooooooooh! It is such a liberating experience if you just let yourself go while listening to this one. It is totally tremendous...the song as well that experience. I certainly owe a big thank-you to Arjun Reddy for introducing me to this one, apart ofcourse the band for creating this one. But what I certainly remember the most about this one is the amazing drive on the roads of delhi with asit, pc, gogo and vikrant listening to this one, chewing on the claridges ke paanwale ke amazing paan!

2) The way you make me feel by michael jackson - this one is an all time favorite...and there is just this amazing si happy feeling that I get when I listen to this one. A random thought about the song....It would be just too unfair on this song and on anyone's life and the different people in it to be able to think of only one person when listening to this one.

3) My Sacrifice by Creed - This one hits me in a totally different way. Like totally totally different. So much so that I wouldn't even attempt to articulate it. Took the easier way out, didn't I :-)

4) Sab bhula ke by Call - the band: The band isn't too popular in India and not many people would have heard this song. But listen to it sometime. This is just the most beautiful song ever. EVER. It just been so many times that I turn to this one and play it in a loop to be able to sleep well after one of those stressful days when I have tons on my mind.

5) Abhi nahin aana sajna by Sona: Actually this is the one that confuses me about what I wrote about Sab bhula ke. This one is as beautiful if not more. The lyrics of this one give such a beautiful twist to the ordinary to make the song extraordinary using such beautiful sarcasm!

6) Sabse peeche hum khadhe by Mohit Chauhan - This is the one that I am able to relate to the most. Its a definition of an attitude more than any emotion. And I certainly relate to it quite a lot. And there is this brilliant version of this song that Piyush Wadhera, Ankush's supremely talented brother, has sung! I have heard that a couple of times and its just fantastic!

7) Jimi Hendrix - There's no one particular song of him that I want to talk about but his guitaring in practically all the he played for! He just forces you to do some crazy air-guitaring with him. And he is also the guy who made me feel a bit sorry for being born it the times that I was, as I so wish I was born during his times and could have listened to him live. Anyways!

8) Love is gone by David Guetta - What a song! This one just stays as fresh as ever and is a must have on any of the CDs that I write with some jazzy (not the actually jazz music types but used as an adjective here) music.

I think the explanations are getting a bit boring now and a bit repetitive too. I am getting a bit bored myself writing all this, so I can totally imagine your plight! So, I would just write the songs that I feel are worth this space and an occassional note here and there...

9) Madhushala by Shri Hariwansh Rai Bacchan - ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ispe kaise na comment karein! oh ho ho ho ho for those lovely Delhi summer afternoons when this one is playing in car-e-julzi with A/C at full blast...the fact that I chose to call Delhi summer afternoons lovely because of this compilation is a strong enough tribute to it. If you are not able to relate to what I described of it, then just imagine an alternate scenario. Delhi summer - you are home - in your room - on a sunday afternoon - where the A/C is pretty effective - you are lying on your arm chair - with your eyes closed - thinking of nothing - lights off, of course! There can be no better cd playing in the background than this one at such a time! Of course the one that was sung by Mr. Bacchan Sr. himself and Manna Dey!

10) Sitting on the dock of the bay by Otis Reading - Again, this is one of those that defines an attitude more than an emotion. Totally relatable.

(I think that not commenting on these songs is a pretty tough task too :-)

11) Iktara by Kavita Sheth from the movie wake up sid - Totally fantastic...and so bloody deep!

12) Hazaaron Khwahishein Aisi (Part 1 & 2) by Shubha Mudgal - Seriously, if ever I have even thought of the possibility of existence of god, it has been while listening to either this lady or Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan sahab! Need I say more? A few others by her that are worth this space are Piya tora kaisa abhiman, Seekho Na and a few more that I can't really recall right now.

13) Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan sahab - kuch bhi suna do yaar inka to...obviously had to mention him seperately after the last comment.

14) Aik Alif recorded at the Coke Studio - This composition is so beautiful and powerful that it really forces me often to think about contemporary issues affecting our world. You must be wondering whats the connection. Its actually just that I find it so dissapointing to imagine that some of the people who follow the religion (in their own way by their own interpretation) that this song sings about, could do what they are doing in the name of this religion! Its a beautiful song about a beautiful religion, performed by people who I am sure would be equally beautiful! There are just so many chains of thoughts that start off like this at so many levels when I listen to this one. It would be quite a significant digression from the purpose of this post to write a bit more about these thoughts that I mentioned.

15) Ambar by Raghu Dixit - Just go to youtube, type this phrase and listen to it for yourself. I would certainly look out for this guy and his music in the future. Most of his other songs that spring up when you search for him on you tube are totally brilliant too. Listen to Hey Bhagwan and No man will ever love you as well if you do decide to go on youtube for this one.

16) Mehfuz by Euphoria - :-)

17) Sexy Chick by Akon and David Guetta - This one is so much fun! A David Guetta classic in classic Akon shallow but ultra fun lyrics! hahahaha...this one is just so funky...the best combination there could be for this genre of music!

18) Armiin Van Buuren - Need I say more? Some totally totally outrageously amazing trance!

19) The amazing trance music that I don't have a clue about but that we got with our hired car on my last goa trip and which we asked Jitesh Shah to copy on his laptop (who else but a BCG guy would take his laptop to Goa on a vacation!) and which I think I would receive from him only after he becomes a partner at BCG!

20) Power mix, lovestoned remix and adagio for strings by Tiesto

21) Seperation theme from the movie Lakshaya - Must thank Amit Kapur for introducing me to this one. It is just a pleasure to put this on a very low volume and just doze off. I invariably wake up totally fresh unlike any other time. I know its wierd to claim that music could have such an effect while am asleep but it does! that's what is the power of music! hahahaha....such a terrible cliche' but true nonetheless!

22) The scaffolder's wife by Mark Knopfler

23) Boulevard of broken dreams by Green Day - Turquoise Cottage!!!!!!

24) Hold me, kiss me, thrill me by U2 - I think i guessed the order of the name of the song correct...didn't remember it but its just a bit intuitive to guess the order..isn't it!

25) Maikade by Hariharan

bas bhai bas....I know I can just go on and on with this list but the beauty of such a list is in the thousands of times I or any of you would say "Oh yaar! yeh song ka bhi mention to banta tha blog pe" while listening to yet another song from my library and that is also the essence of what music means to me or anyone else! There is just so much such beautiful music out there that its totally ridiculous to even try to build such a list. And of course, I had to do the ridiculous :-) But I just can't stop with these 25 and I would continue for a bit longer. I know that this post is becoming a bit boring but what the fuck, i would stil write

26) Symphony 41 by Mozart!

27) When my guitar gently weeps by Jake Shimabukuro: Must thank Prakriti for sending this one through - its such a beautiful and soulful composition.

28) World hold on by Bob Sinclair

29) Woh Lamhe by Atif Aslam / Jal - I think almost everyone would have heard this one a million times on loop when this one was released

30) Bulla Ki Jana by Rabbi Shergill - This song and the way I harrassed Rathi by playing this one over and over again is how I became such great friends with this legend to be (Rathi, i mean!)!

I can't remember the name of the song now but there was another one that I was temporarily in love with in Term 5 at ISB that I played over and over and over again to harrass Grover and Jyotbir while doing an assignment! hahaha...I think the habit of playing songs in loop has served me really well by giving me some absolutely trememndous friends!

31) Gill te Guitar by Rabbi Shergill - This one is the story of all groups of friends anyone has ever had anywhere in this world...its such a globally relevant and relatable song...if only everyone could understand it...its in punjabi and most wouldn't understand what it means!

I guess this is an appropriate note to stop and sign off on this post since there is nothing special about this note apart from the fact that I am just tired of writing and of not making any sense.

Adios!

-j

4 comments:

  1. I think it would be great if any of you could mention a song or two that you expected me to put here on this list but I haven't. Or some song that we share a memory with! -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hava recent memory of the song 'mard tange wala'.. how cud u forget just the last blogpost.

    And I'd perhaps ask you to put here 'more than words' by band 'Extreme' - hear it and you will know y i recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill te guitar is such a beautiful number dude. I became a bigger fan of Rabbi when I heard this number.

    Some songs u must listen to (there are so many of them other than these also):
    Goo Goo Dolls - IRIS - The lyrics read like a poem
    One - U2 - Truly lovely lyrics
    Wrapped around your finger - by Police (check out the lovely video)
    Streets of Philadephia - Bruce Springsteen

    Song of common memory - Jawaani se ab jung hone lagi, ki chunari meri tang... (still remember ur 'notebook as harmonium' ghazal performance on this song :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laaike :) Think you covered most of my favs as well in this blog of yours.

    Two additions to the list or music I relate with ya:

    1. The lounge collection - midival punditz n many more
    2. some Don Williams classics that you introduced me to :)

    ReplyDelete